This is the only way my finicky teenagers will eat seafood. They love the robust citrus flavor of the skillet-prepared shrimp.—Suzanne Kesel, Cohocton, New York
Recommended: 30 Appetizer Recipes Ready in 15 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds uncooked jumbo shrimp
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 4-1/2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1 tablespoon whole white peppercorns, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Peel and devein shrimp, leaving the tails on. Butterfly each shrimp along the outside curve.
- In a small saucepan, combine the lemon juice, lime juice, brown sugar and ginger. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Stir in the jalapeno, lemon zest, lime zest, peppercorns and salt; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon olive oil. When cool, coat shrimp with sauce mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook shrimp in remaining oil in batches over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until shrimp turn pink. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Bold Citrus Shrimp in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p59