I've added unconventional ingredients to these collards that make them unique and exquisite on the palate and on the plate. —Ally Phillips, Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 large bunch collard greens (about 2 pounds)
- 6 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn (about 7-1/2 ounces)
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Trim thick stems from collard greens; coarsely chop leaves. In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Cook and stir collard greens in bacon drippings and oil just until coated. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until greens are very tender, 25-30 minutes.
- Add corn, red pepper, salt, pepper flakes and pepper. Cook and stir until heated through. Sprinkle with bacon.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 168 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 369mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Bohemian Collards in Taste of Home November 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.