Bocconcini & Strawberry Bruschetta
If you had to capture summer in a salad, this would be it. Mozzarella pearls are infused with a sweet and tangy marinade, then placed on a bed of tender greens alongside fresh sliced strawberries and drizzled with the homemade vinaigrette.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + marinating
- 1/4 cup walnut oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 carton (8 ounces) bocconcini (fresh mozzarella balls), drained and sliced
- 48 slices French bread baguette (1/4 inch thick)
- 12 fresh strawberries, sliced
- 3 cups spring mix salad greens
- In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Pour 1/3 cup into a small resealable plastic bag. Add the cheese; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate remaining vinaigrette.
- Meanwhile, place baguette slices on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until crisp. Drain and discard marinade from cheese. Combine marinated cheese and strawberries.
- Top toasts with salad greens and cheese mixture; drizzle with reserved vinaigrette. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 36 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 32mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Bocconcini Cheese and Strawberries Slices in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012