Blushing Penne Pasta Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream, divided
- 1/2 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1. In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; return to pot.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat butter over medium heat; saute onion until lightly browned, 8-10 minutes. Add herbs and salt; cook and stir 1 minute. Add 1 cup cream, wine and tomato paste; cook and stir until blended.
- 3. Mix flour and remaining cream until smooth; gradually stir into onion mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese. Stir into pasta. Serve with remaining cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 335 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 431mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Reviews for Blushing Penne Pasta
"This was such a breeze to make and tastes great! I really liked the strong spice blend with the light sauce. We lightened it up even more by serving it with cooked spaghetti squash instead of penne. Even tastes great as leftovers! :)"
"I thought the amount of thyme called for was just a bit too much for my tastes, so I cut it in half. I added an extra tablespoon of tomato paste, and I thought that was just right. This recipe is so rich and creamy. Everyone in my family ate it, including the kids! This is a keeper."
"I am not a big fan of tomato based sauces, so for me, this was the perfect balance of flavors. With some added chopped chicken, this is a recipe I will make again and again."
"My husband and I love this recipe! So simple and quick to make when on the run!"
"I thought the thyme was a little strong, but I would definitely make it again, just back off on that. Whole family liked it!"
"Cheesy goodness. Very similar to a dish I loved in a restraunt. I like to add a can of tomatoes and mozzarella cheese then bake it just a bit to melt the cheese."
"This is company-worthy."
"Delicious! And my kids couldn't wait to get home from school the next day to have the leftovers for snack!"
"My family loved this! The sauce is rich and creamy and so easy to make. This is a keeper! Thanks fo the recipe."
"it just missed. Too much srong thyme flavor overpowered the subtle blush of the sauce. A bit thick as well, and I used fat free half and half."
"I thought this was pretty good. Didn't have fresh herbs, so I used dry. It's probably better with fresh though. I also added precooked chicken, and subbed some of the salt with garlic salt."
"I thought this was a little bland. I used fresh thyme and fresh basil. I also added fresh tomatoes. I just thought it needed something else."
"Amazing! Love it! Made 3 batches...2 for friends and 1 for us! I am addicted!"
"Absolutely delicious...one of our favorites! I often add chunks of grilled chicken."
"The sauce is DELICIOUS! I usually serve this with the Mozzarella-Stuffed Meatballs."