Blushing Penne Pasta
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream, divided
- 1/2 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; return to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat butter over medium heat; saute onion until lightly browned, 8-10 minutes. Add herbs and salt; cook and stir 1 minute. Add 1 cup cream, wine and tomato paste; cook and stir until blended.
- Mix flour and remaining cream until smooth; gradually stir into onion mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese. Stir into pasta. Serve with remaining cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 335 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 431mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 28, 2018
I added ground sirloin, garlic, oregano, whole cream, and Vodka!!! Couldn't imagine making this without garlic!! The original recipe, I'm guessing, had whole cream instead of the half and half, and Vodka instead of the chicken broth or white wine. I only gave that recipe three stars, but I would sure give my revised version Five Stars!!!
Sep 30, 2018
Sounds good in principle, but where is the GarLiC???? A meet less pasta dish with no garlic??? Crazy. Substitute thyme with oregano. Throw in some mushrooms. Recipes like this should not even be printed
May 30, 2018
This was a simple recipe that came together quickly. The sauce stuck very well to the penne but it was too thick for most of family's taste. While everyone ate it, it was dubbed "different" and "weird but still good" from the kids. Ultimately, I think it comes down to this was not a different pasta dish than they are accustomed to. I served it with grilled chicken and salad and everyone was content.
May 27, 2018
Incredibly bland. Even red pepper flakes didn't help. So disappointed - it looked so good.
May 18, 2018
This was a very easy and delicious recipe. I used leftover pork roast, because my husband wanted meat. He really liked it.
Jan 31, 2018
Can I use milk instead of the half and half cream?
Oct 25, 2017
Very Tasty. I added pieces of cooked boneless chicken tenderloins. A keeper as is but I agree with other reviews that the thyme is slightly strong for our taste. Next time I will use less thyme. We would also prefer a little more sauce. I plan on making this next time with the extra sauce and adding sun dried tomatoes and black olives. Another review suggests "adding a can of tomatoes and mozzarella cheese then bake it just a bit to melt the cheese" I will try it that way also. Thank you Margaret Wilson, Hemet, California for a great fast recipe!
Oct 25, 2017
Very Tasty. I added pieces of cooked boneless chicken tenderloins. A keeper as is but I agree with other reviews that the thyme is slightly strong for our taste. Next time I will use less thyme. We would also prefer a little more sauce. I plan on making this next time with the extra sauce and adding sun dried tomatoes and black olives. Another review suggests "adding a can of tomatoes and mozzarella cheese then bake it just a bit to melt the cheese" I will tryn it that way also. Thank you Margaret Wilson, Hemet, California for a great fast recipe!
Mar 14, 2017
This was such a breeze to make and tastes great! I really liked the strong spice blend with the light sauce. We lightened it up even more by serving it with cooked spaghetti squash instead of penne. Even tastes great as leftovers! :)
Mar 12, 2017
I thought the amount of thyme called for was just a bit too much for my tastes, so I cut it in half. I added an extra tablespoon of tomato paste, and I thought that was just right. This recipe is so rich and creamy. Everyone in my family ate it, including the kids! This is a keeper.