Blueberry Upside-Down Cake Recipe
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Whipped topping, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter; stir in brown sugar. Spread into an ungreased 8-in. baking dish. Arrange blueberries in a single layer over brown sugar mixture; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, cream remaining butter; beat in sugar. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Carefully pour over blueberries.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of cake comes out clean. Immediately invert onto a serving platter. Cool. Serve with whipped topping if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 292 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 181mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Blueberry Upside-Down Cake
"I don't know if I measured something wrong, but this was quite flat ... almost like there was not enough batter for an 8-inch cake. Perhaps it should be baked in a loaf pan. It tasted okay -- a little too sweet, though. I don't think I will make this again."
"I had prepared this recipe when it was first featured in Taste of Home! I DID adjust the recipe and I used 1/2 cup margarine, DIVIDED and added 1/2 tsp. salt. I also used 1/2 cup packed brown sugar! This recipe was delicious! Thank you, Charlotte Harrison, for sharing this recipe! DELowenstein"
"Clever idea for a blueberry lover, which I am. I served mine with vanilla ice cream instead of whipped cream."
"YES, I would definately make this recipe again. I made it for my Father's birthday because he loves blueberries and it tasted really good. It was a refreashing change from a frasted cake."
"This cake sounds wonderful; have not made yet, but will. There's a blueberry picking farm near our home which we go to every summer. We freeze blueberries to enjoy year round.Thank you for sharing this recipe.Sincerely,"