- 1 cup crushed vanilla wafers
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- In a small bowl, combine wafers and butter. Press into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually whisk in water until smooth. Stir in 1-1/2 cups blueberries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the lemon juice, peel and remaining blueberries. Cool completely.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Fold in marshmallows. Spread over crust. Top with blueberry mixture. Cover and refrigerate until set, about 45 minutes. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forBlueberry Squares
"This was very good, but in my opinion, 3 Tbsp of lemon plus lemon zest is just too much for this recipe. I only used 2 Tbsp and still thought the lemon took over the flavor in this recipe. I would make this again, but just use 1 Tbsp of lemon juice in order to highlight the star of the show, blueberries!"
"We thought it was very good. Would like to try it with cherries also raspberries."
"Not bad. I used frozen blueberries instead of fresh, so they may have come out more tart than intended. Besides that, the flavors in the bar are balanced really well. The only thing I'm not sure about is the marshmallows. They made the texture a bit weird. It sounds like it's hard to make, but it's actually pretty easy."
"My family and I thought this was terrible. The only reason we can give it 2 stars is because our neighbors who were over for dinner liked it."
"I would do a graham cracker crust in my opinion. I didn't like the vanilla wafers but the blueberry topping was just awesome! Liked the marshmellows."
"I've been making this since its publication in 2007, and it's one of my favorites. I love blueberries, so I'm always glad to find a good recipe that features them. I am not a marshmallow fan, so I was skeptical at first, but in this recipe, I love them."
"I thought it was just okay. Not sure if I'd make it again. 4 stars because my husband really liked it."
"Very Good! Will definitely make again."
"Great recipe. I was a little concerned about how the marshmellows would work, but they blended in well and they added a different kind of texture when you are enjoying the dessert."