Blueberry Spice Muffins
"These nicely spiced blueberry muffins are a pleasant complement to an informal brunch or as a special treat for breakfast," notes Faye Hintz, a reader from Duarte, California.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Combine egg and milk. Add egg mixture and butter to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened. Fold in blueberries.
- Fill greased or paper-line muffin cups two-thirds full. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 400° for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 172 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 246mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Blueberry Spice Muffins in Quick Cooking July/August 2001