- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup milk
- Cream or whipped cream, optional
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine blueberries, sugar, water, lemon peel and juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add milk quickly, mixing until dry ingredients are just moistened. Drop dough by spoonfuls into simmering berries (makes six dumplings). Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Do not lift lid. Spoon dumplings into individual serving bowls and spoon some sauce over each. Serve warm with cream or whipped cream if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forBlueberry Slump
"What a nice ending to a meal! I used fresh blueberries and even after my husband opened the lid during steaming the dumplings - this was wonderful and the dumplings were soft and light!"