Blueberry Salsa Salad
For this deliciously different salad, Priscilla Gilbert tops mixed greens with a sweet-tart fruit medley seasoned with onion and cilantro. "It was a hit when I prepared it for our 50th wedding anniversary," she relates from Indian Harbour Beach, Florida.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 medium apple, diced
- 1 large navel orange, peeled, sectioned and chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened apple juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the blueberries, apple, orange, onion and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, apple juice, sugar, oil and salt; drizzle over fruit mixture and toss to coat. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Divide salad greens among six serving plates. Using a slotted spoon, arrange blueberry salsa over greens. Drizzle with dressing left in bowl. Sprinkle with blue cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 173 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 301mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fruit, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Blueberry Salsa Salad in Quick Cooking July/August 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.