Blueberry Pecan Scones
These scones are great any time of year using fresh or frozen blueberries. I serve them alone as a snack or as part of a meal.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg, milk and vanilla; add to crumb mixture. Stir in the blueberries, pecans and lemon peel just until moistened.
- Turn onto a floured surface, knead 6-8 times. Pat into an 8-in. circle; cut into eight wedges. Separate wedges and place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet.
- Brush with egg white and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 261 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 452mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Blueberry Pecan Scones in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.