Total TimePrep: 35 min. + standing Bake: 10 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 3/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened blueberries
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups sliced peeled fresh peaches or frozen sliced peaches, thawed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 4 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- Vanilla ice cream or whipped topping, optional
- In a large skillet, combine sugar, water and basil; bring to boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat; let stand 30 minutes.
- Strain syrup through a fine-mesh strainer; discard basil. Return syrup to skillet. Add blueberries and butter; bring just to a boil. Gently stir in peaches; heat through. Cool 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450°. For shortcakes, in a large bowl, whisk flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk sour cream and milk until blended; stir into flour mixture just until moistened.
- Drop dough by 1/3 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool slightly.
- To serve, split shortcakes in half. Fill with fruit mixture. If desired, serve with ice cream.
Nutrition Facts1 shortcake with 1/3 cup filling (calculated without ice cream): 395 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 219mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
May 25, 2015
This is the first time I've made my own shortcake dough, and it was well worth it- no more artificial-tasting shortcake. This is the real deal. I transformed this recipe into strawberry shortcake. Very good!
Apr 10, 2015
I have always been a big fan of Sue's recipes! Peaches will not be in season around here until August and I don't like frozen peaches, so I used fresh strawberries instead. I loved the infusion of basil to the syrup. The shortcakes are to die for!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.