Blueberry Peach Parfaits
"We have peach trees and blueberry bushes, so combining those fresh fruits with a thick old-fashioned custard sauce is an extraordinary summer treat," relates field editor Suzanne McKinley, Lyons, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 medium ripe peaches, peeled and sliced
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- Whipped cream
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- In six parfait glasses, layer 2 rounded tablespoons of custard, two to three peach slices and 2 tablespoons blueberries; repeat layers. Top with whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 192 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Blueberry Peach Parfaits in Taste of Home June/July 2002
Aug 15, 2014
The custard was very good and the fruit made us feel like it was a healthy snack.
Oct 17, 2012
My kids love the custard of this parfait and we use any fresh fruit with it. I have to make double the amount of custard.