- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, 1 cup sugar and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 2 cups for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine blueberries, cornstarch, lemon juice and remaining sugar. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Spread evenly over the crust. Sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 2-1/2 to 3 dozen.
Reviews forBlueberry Oat Bars
"These are good, but I much prefer the crumb mix in the Date Oatmeal Bars, which can be found on this site as well."
"I used three cups of blueberries, two cups of butter, added 1 tsp of cinnamon and 1 tsp salt. Would probably decrease sugar a bit next time. I thought it was delicious with these changes and would definitely make it again."
"First time making these there was not enough blueberry mixture for a 13 x 9 so next time I used 3 cups of blueberries, 3 tbsp of cornstarch and juice and the amount was perfect - also substituted 1/4 of the sugar using organic coconut palm sugar - my husband loves these bars frozen!"
"I used an 8x8 pan (so of course ended up tossing a lot of the crumb mixture ??) but otherwise this recipe is fabulous!!! Will definitely make again!"
"AwfulI used fresh blueberries, and followed recipe exactlyNever again--"
"Can't seem to change my original one star rating. I'll give it 4 1/2 now. I needed to make more crumb mixture than what was called for. I added a bit of brown sugar, oats, flour and chopped walnuts to make the topping. Amount of blueberry mixture turned out to be perfect. I also used less sugar, about 3/4 of a cup total, for a less sweet taste. Really very good."
"I hope this comes out of the oven better than it went in. Followed recipe but with a bit less sugar. Not enough mixture for crumb topping, had to make more. Not enough blueberry mixture for the 9x13 pan. Wondering what I did differently from those that gave 5 stars? Yikes! We'll see about this."
"Everyone really likes this one and it can be frozen for a later use. Thaws out ready to serve!"
"Kids love these, even my youngest who claims he doesnt' like blueberries."
"Very easy to make it - and has already made them several times."