Blueberry Lemon Tea Bread Recipe
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1-2/3 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1. Toss berries with 1 tablespoon flour; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Combine baking powder, salt and remaining flour. Add alternately with milk to creamed mixture. Fold in blueberries and lemon peel. Pour batter into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until bread tests done. Cool 10 minutes. Meanwhile, for glaze, combine sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan. Heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove bread from pan; prick top with a toothpick. Brush hot glaze over bread. Cool completely before slicing. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 slice: 180 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 144mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Blueberry Lemon Tea Bread
"I have made countless loaves of this wonderful bread to serve for ladies teas- it is moist, bursting with berries, and the lemon glaze should not be skipped. It freezes very well, and slices so nice. It has the texture of a pound cake. I have also used half blueberries and half raspberries- which is really yummy too!"
"shame on me for not rating this excellant recipe earlier. I have made this countless times for church tea parties- it freezes well, and slices nicely. I line my pan with non stick foil, and pour the glaze over the bread while in the pan. When cool- I can lift it out and remove the foil, this allows all the glaze to absorb into the bread- even the crust piece is yummy! This bursts with lemon flavor."