Blueberry Gingerbread Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, oil, molasses and salt. Beat in egg. Combine 2 cups flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, ginger and nutmeg; add to the sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk. Place the remaining flour in a resealable plastic bag; add blueberries and shake lightly to coat. Fold into batter.
- Pour into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 cups: 267 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 205mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jul 8, 2013
This was a huge hit with my husband and teenage sons. The gingerbread has a perfect texture, and the blueberries are a tasty surprise! Sprinkling sugar on top reminds me of old fashioned gingerbread cookies. Delicious!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.