Blueberry Gingerbread Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, oil, molasses and salt. Beat in egg. Combine 2 cups flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, ginger and nutmeg; add to the sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk. Place the remaining flour in a resealable plastic bag; add blueberries and shake lightly to coat. Fold into batter.
- Pour into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 cups: 267 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 205mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 8, 2013
This was a huge hit with my husband and teenage sons. The gingerbread has a perfect texture, and the blueberries are a tasty surprise! Sprinkling sugar on top reminds me of old fashioned gingerbread cookies. Delicious!