Blueberry Dream Pie Recipe
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- CHEESE FILLING:
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 large egg yolk
- BLUEBERRY FILLING:
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 6 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- 1. Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with bottom crust. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 375°.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and lemon juice until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk until blended. Spread into crust.
- 3. In a large saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar, flour and cornstarch; stir in water until smooth. Stir in 2 cups berries. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly. Gently stir in the lemon juice, mint and remaining berries. Pour over cheese filling.
- 4. Cut decorative cutouts in remaining pastry; arrange over filling, leaving center uncovered. Brush pastry with egg white; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 442 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 269mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Blueberry Dream Pie
"Very good! Love fresh blueberries! Lemon and blueberry goes well together and was well received when I served it at a family summer picnic."
"Very easy to make. I should have let the blueberry filling cool some more before I poured on top of the cream cheese...Once it was chilled, you couldn't tell there was cream cheese in there- I was in a hurry though and didn't have time to wait. My husband loves blueberry pie but he didn't love the lemon in this. Maybe next time I'd cut back on that. Those aren't faults of the recipe though...it set up beautifully and looked so pretty. I cut out butterflies and tulip shapes to put on the top."
"this delicious pie is a crowd pleaser. It looks as amazing as it tastes. The lemon really helps bring out the blueberry flavor."
"I never had a pie disappear so fast, everyone loved that lemon tart in it. Its a keeper."
"The taste was wonderful. However, it did not set up and we had to eat from bowls instead of on a plate. I did use frozen blueberries (no fresh ones to be found here) and perhaps there was too much liquid and I need more thickener?"
"This looks wonderful - blueberries are awesome!!!!"
"I love blueberries and cream cheese, they were meant for one another!"
"I used wild blueberries and it tasted amazing!"
"This was Great. I made it with fresh mixed berries instead of just blueberries. Everyone loved it."
"This was wonderful! I made it for a cookout for some friends and everyone raved about it. Unfortunately I didn't notice that it said deep-dish pie plate, so I couldn't use all of my filing. :( The mint really adds something special. A definite keeper!"
"Delicious! Easier to prepare than I thought it would be."
"I made this wonderful pie for our Monday night dessert night at my parents. I wish I would have taken a picture of it. It was so beautiful and everyone raved at the taste of it. Just the right amount of sugar. I thought that it wouldn't be sweet enough but it was just perfect. The only thing that I changed was I don't like adding flour for thickening my pies so I omitted the flour and added an extra tablespoon of cornstarch to the filling. It turned out just perfect! This is definetly a keeper. Everyone was going to go out and buy the magazine for the recipe. All of the pie recipes looked so good I can't wait to make the flower one. I will send you a comment on it after I make it.Thank you Taste of Home!!!!Linda"