Blueberry-Cinnamon Campfire Bread
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. + standing
- 1 loaf (1 pound) cinnamon-raisin bread
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk or half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- Prepare campfire or grill for low heat. Arrange bread slices on a greased double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 24x18 in.). Bring foil up the sides, leaving the top open. Whisk eggs, milk, syrup and vanilla. Pour over bread; sprinkle with nuts and 1 cup blueberries. Fold edges over top, crimping to seal.
- Place on a grill grate over campfire or grill until eggs are cooked through, 30-40 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining blueberries; serve with additional maple syrup if desired.
Nutrition Facts2 slices: 266 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 142mg cholesterol, 185mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 5g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 16, 2016
I've made these oh hot campfire coals and in the oven. It was a hit both times. I especially love the cooked and fresh blueberries. It's definitely a keeper!
Sep 17, 2016
Made this for breakfast this a.m. and it is a keeper - easy and delicious
Jun 21, 2016
This recipe is a keeper. However, I used a greased 13x9x2" baking dish and used the egg mixture and bread slices in the prepared dish. I'd used 1-1/2 cups 2% milk with the eggs, syrup and vanilla and since I didn't have regular blueberries, I used a can of blueberry pie filling (21-oz.) for the dish. I'd topped the bread with half the filling, sprinkled the toasted nuts over the filling, then spread with remaining filling before I baked it at 350o F. for 45 minutes. I sampled a serving and it was REALLY a tasty dish! delowenstein