- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a bowl, cream shortening and 1/2 cup sugar. Add egg and mix well. Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Spread into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Toss blueberries with lemon juice; sprinkle over batter. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon and remaining sugar and flour; cut in butter until mixture is the size of peas. Sprinkle over berries. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes. Yield: 9-12 servings.
Reviews forBlueberry Buckle
"I am glad I read the reviews before making this. I also added 2 or 3 heaping Tablespoons of sour cream to the batter. I also added 1 tsp. vanilla for more flavoring. Not sure how Iong I baked it, but it sure wasn't an hour."
"cake was a bit dry. Topping was tasty though. Maybe add some sour cream to batter for moisture."
"I agree that it was very dry. There are other blueberry buckle recipes that work."
"Nice flavor, but VERY dry. It almost seems like 60 minutes was too long to bake it."
"This recipe was so good. My husband liked it so much I made it three times in one week. I'm trying it today with splenda."