Blueberry Breakfast Souffle
Here’s a special treat from the microwave. Topped with almonds, the souffle appeals to the eyes as well as the taste buds.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 can (21 ounces) blueberry pie filling
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 5 large eggs, room temperature, separated
- 1/3 cup crushed gingersnap cookies (about 10 cookies)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Confectioners' sugar and maple syrup
- In a small bowl, combine pie filling and lemon zest; transfer to a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. In a large bowl, combine the egg yolks, crushed cookies, sugar and extract; set aside.
- In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into cookie mixture. Spread over filling; sprinkle with almonds.
- Microwave, uncovered, at 50% power for 12-15 minutes or until topping is set. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle servings with confectioners' sugar and drizzle with syrup.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 264 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 132mg cholesterol, 110mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Snappy Blueberry Breakfast Souffle in Country Woman Christmas 2012