I never thought "blueberries" and "BBQ" went together until I tried this dish! We had this during our annual fourth of July cookout and more than just patriotic, this dish was seriously delicious! Good thing its healthy because I had more than one. —Kendra Doss, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Recommended: 30 Recipes to Make with Fresh Blueberries
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup fresh or frozen unsweetened blueberries
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 shallots, minced
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 6 ounces each)
- In a small saucepan over low heat, bring blueberries to a boil; cook and stir until softened, 4-5 minutes. Mash berries. Add next eight ingredients; increase heat to medium. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until thickened, 15-20 minutes. Remove about 3/4 cup sauce; reserve. Refrigerate, covered, until just before serving. Brush chicken with remaining sauce. Refrigerate chicken and remaining sauce, covered, about 1 hour.
- Place chicken on a greased grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium direct heat, brushing occasionally with remaining sauce, 8-10 minutes. Turn; grill, brushing with sauce, until a thermometer reads 165°, 8-10 minutes longer. Discard any remaining grilling sauce.
- Microwave reserved sauce, covered, on high until heated through, 30-60 seconds. Serve with grilled chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Blueberry BBQ Chicken in TasteofHome.com 2017