Blue Ribbon White Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 40 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk powder, shortening, sugar, salt, ginger and 3-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 113 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 168mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 22, 2013
This is the best white bread recipe I have ever made and I have made alot! Sometimes I add 2 envelopes of onion soup mix. Makes wonderful, mild onion bread!
Jan 31, 2009
Oh! This was the best basic bread I have ever had! I was so moist and delicious and made an excellent sandwich bread! it was very easy to make! I will most certainly be making this a lot to have on hand for lunches, etc. Thank you very much!Blessings!
Jan 31, 2009
Oh! This was the best basic bread I have ever had! I was so moist and delicious and made an excellent sandwich bread! it was very easy to make! I will most certainly be making this a lot to have on hand for lunches, etc. Thank you very much!Blessings!Rachel
Sep 8, 2008
does this work well using a bosch mixer