This recipe took first-place honors 7 consecutive years at our local fair. My relatives rave about this bread and its pleasant subtle ginger flavor.
Recommended: 45 Breads That Will Inspire You to Bake This Fall
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk powder, shortening, sugar, salt, ginger and 3-1/2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves.
Originally published as Blue Ribbon White Bread in Best of Country Breads 2000, p46
Reviews forBlue Ribbon White Bread
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 8, 2008
"does this work well using a bosch mixer"