Blue-Ribbon Butter Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 55-70 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges and center tube of pan. Invert cake onto a wire rack over waxed paper.
- For sauce, combine the sugar, butter and water in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat just until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in extracts.
- Poke holes in the top of the warm cake; spoon 1/4 cup sauce over cake. Let stand until sauce is absorbed. Repeat twice. Poke holes into sides of cake; brush remaining sauce over sides. Cool completely.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 410 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 344mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 11, 2018
This cake is totally luscious! Next time I think I will try making less sauce. There was a lot left. This joins my short list of fabulous cakes.
Jul 4, 2018
The tube pan I have is a two-piece pan that comes apart - I've only ever really used it for angel food cake (I think this may be an old style of tube pan - maybe they don't make them this way any more?). Will this cake work in a two-piece tube pan or will the batter run out? Does the cake work in a bundt pan?
Apr 14, 2018
This is one of the most incredible cakes I have ever prepared or consumed. Iusually stick with Betty Crocker. Spreaded my wings and was happy I did.I've been threatening to make it for 2 weeks. I cooked it for the recommendedtime. Next time, I will tamp it back about 5 minutes or, at least, check it sooner.
Apr 5, 2018
This cake is terrific! Looks just like the picture, tastes scrumptious.
Mar 18, 2018
Excellent butter cake!!! I made this using a tube pan and it came out great. Did not have buttermilk, so substituted with Greek vanilla yogurt that I need to use up. Perfect!
Jan 10, 2018
I made this for my husbands birthday. What a delicious, easy to make cake!!!Definitely a keeper!
Jan 5, 2018
This cake ?? is a keeper vary easy to make
Sep 19, 2017
I made this with gluten free flour and it was amazing. I did have to increase the liquid by 1/4 cup in order to keep the cake moist and not too dense. Amazing flavor!
Jul 24, 2017
This cake came out exactly as I thought it would. Fantastic. No problems getting cake out of bundt pan at all. I am lazy and use the canned flour/grease spray. Works great. Recipe a definite keeper!
Jul 17, 2017
Heavy, moist, delicious........just what I wanted!!!!