- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges and center tube of pan. Invert cake onto a wire rack over waxed paper.
- For sauce, combine the sugar, butter and water in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat just until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in extracts.
- Poke holes in the top of the warm cake; spoon 1/4 cup sauce over cake. Let stand until sauce is absorbed. Repeat twice. Poke holes into sides of cake; brush remaining sauce over sides. Cool completely. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forBlue-Ribbon Butter Cake
"This is one of the most incredible cakes I have ever prepared or consumed. Iusually stick with Betty Crocker. Spreaded my wings and was happy I did.I've been threatening to make it for 2 weeks. I cooked it for the recommendedtime. Next time, I will tamp it back about 5 minutes or, at least, check it sooner."
"This cake is terrific! Looks just like the picture, tastes scrumptious."
"Excellent butter cake!!! I made this using a tube pan and it came out great. Did not have buttermilk, so substituted with Greek vanilla yogurt that I need to use up. Perfect!"
"I made this with gluten free flour and it was amazing. I did have to increase the liquid by 1/4 cup in order to keep the cake moist and not too dense. Amazing flavor!"
"Heavy, moist, delicious........just what I wanted!!!!"
"I made this but used 9 in round. I received great reviews on taste and moist"
"Leaking tube pans made me buy Wilton's solid tube pan & I've not had a leak or a bad cake rise since! This cake is perfect in every way & is made for a tube pan, not a bundt pan! (There's a big difference!) Because of prior reviews, I baked at 325 for 1 hr. 15 minutes & it came out beautifully. I spray pan very liberally w/baking spray (flour & oil spray) & then wipe it with a paper towel to remove excess. Perfection!"