Blue Plate Open-Faced Turkey Sandwich
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/4 pounds sliced deli turkey
- 12 slices white bread
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 4-5 minutes. Stir in flour, parsley and seasonings until blended; gradually whisk in broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until slightly thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Add turkey, one slice at a time; heat through. Serve over bread.
Nutrition Facts2 open-faced sandwiches: 361 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 1462mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Jun 11, 2019
This is an old favorite from childhood. Being a New Englander, we MUST have our cranberry sauce, though and a vegetable would be nice. This is a great and simple way to use leftovers. Love it!
Jun 9, 2019
This is VERY tasty.
Aug 21, 2017
This was a good recipe. Gravy was amazing. The meat lacked flavor though. I think next time I will try with my own turkey. Reminded me of being a kid and having what us kids called "gravy bread". Will make again.
Aug 3, 2017
This is quite tasty.
Oct 31, 2016
A nice way to turn leftover turkey into a hot lunch.
Jun 1, 2015
I tested this recipe when I received my June/July 2015 issue. I'm glad that I tried this recipe! I found it to be tasty and quick! Thank you for sharing this recipe with Taste of Home! delowenstein
May 23, 2015
Fast and tasty.