Blue Plate Open-Faced Turkey Sandwich
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/4 pounds sliced deli turkey
- 12 slices white bread
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour, parsley and seasonings until blended; gradually whisk in broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Add turkey, one slice at a time; heat through. Serve over bread.
Nutrition Facts2 open-faced sandwiches: 361 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 1462mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
Aug 21, 2017
This was a good recipe. Gravy was amazing. The meat lacked flavor though. I think next time I will try with my own turkey. Reminded me of being a kid and having what us kids called "gravy bread". Will make again.
Aug 3, 2017
This is quite tasty.
Oct 31, 2016
A nice way to turn leftover turkey into a hot lunch.
Jun 1, 2015
I tested this recipe when I received my June/July 2015 issue. I did adjust the recipe as follows: I used 1/4 cup butter, 1 small onion, chopped, 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 1/2 tsp. crushed Italian seasonings,1/2 tsp. garlic powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce, 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth, about 3 cups Cubed, cooked rotisserie-style chicken in place of the deli-style turkey. I omitted the bread and served this dish with prepared packaged mashed potatoes. Adding the Worcestershire sauce & LESS chicken broth worked well for me-that way, I found the sauce for this dish NOT watered down for me! (I've had to learn to just add enough liquid so the sauce won't scorch, yet NOT so much liquid that I get a watery sauce! I'm glad that I tried this recipe! I found it to be tasty and quick! Thank you for sharing this recipe with Taste of Home!delowenstein
May 23, 2015
Fast and tasty.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.