Blue Cheese Waldorf Salad
A dash of cayenne adds zip to this classic cool and crispy salad. “Blue cheese provides extra richness,” notes Renee Aupperle of Lititz, Pennsylvania. “It’s great for a buffet; everyone who tries it loves it.”
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 3 medium apples, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, buttermilk, sugar, vinegar, salt, cayenne and pepper. Stir in blue cheese and onion. In a large bowl, combine the apples, celery and raisins. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with walnuts.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 150 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 237mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 fat.
Originally published as Blue Cheese Waldorf Salad in Light & Tasty August/September 2005