Blue Cheese & Shallot Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1 large Eggland's Best egg
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a small skillet, saute shallots in butter until tender; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and mustard. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, combine egg and milk. Stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Fold in cheeses and reserved shallot mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 196 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 473mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 9, 2014
Simply perfect as is. I've made it twice, my husband and I ate the first loaf, my sil and non-blue cheese loving daughter mostly ate the second loaf.
Dec 30, 2012
Tried this yesterday!Great bread,and on my menu for New Years Eve.Thanks for sharing !!
Oct 15, 2011
I was wondering if the blue cheese could be substituted with another cheese?
Oct 3, 2010
Tasty! This made a nice side to grilled porterhouse.
Jan 27, 2010
I thought this bread sounded good and I wasn't disappointed. It was wonderful. I didn't have shallots so used chopped onions instead and added a little minced garlic. It turned out beautifully. Excellent flavor and very easy to make. Next time I may add just a little dill weed and see how that tastes. My entire family loved it and I'll definitely make it again and again.
Jan 23, 2010
We made this bread today. It was so easy, and we love it. I'm thinking of substituting it for corn bread.
Jan 22, 2010
I made this bread using onion and garlic powder as suggested in the tip and served it with Lasagna Soup. It was wonderful and the recipe is a keeper!!!
Jan 22, 2010
I'm not much of a fan of blue cheese but it tastes delicious in this recipe. This is one we will be keeping and making many more times.