Blue Cheese Romaine Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 6 cups torn romaine
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 medium apples or pears, diced
- LEMON VINAIGRETTE:
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Combine pine nuts and butter; spread on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 4-6 minutes until golden brown, stirring once. Cool on a wire rack. In a large bowl, combine romaine and blue cheese. Add apples and pine nuts.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the lemon juice, brown sugar, garlic, salt and pepper; cover and process until smooth. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Drizzle over salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 347 calories, 31g fat (8g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 359mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Mar 6, 2017
This salad is easy and fresh. I didn't have pines nuts so I used a bag of cranberry and walnuts that can be found I. The salad topped section of the grocery store. I used a half gala apple and a bag of prepared romaine lettuce. I loved the dressing and only needed half for my salad. I skipped the food processor to save some clean-up and it turned out great. I just whisked the dressing up in the morning and stored it in the fridge until I was ready to use (if you do this shake it up or re-whisk before adding to salad). My family loved this salad and I will be making again. Maybe I'll try it with pears next time.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.