Blue Cheese Bread Pudding
You can play with the flavor of this recipe by changing the type of blue cheese you use—from sharp Stilton to saltier Gorgonzola.—Crystal Jo Bruns, Iliff, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 French bread baguettes (10-1/2 ounces each), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups (16 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 5 large eggs
- 5 large egg yolks
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion; cook and stir until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until onion is golden brown. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Place half of the bread in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with onion mixture and half of blue cheese. Top with remaining bread and blue cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, egg yolks, cream, salt and pepper. Pour over bread; let stand for 15 minutes or until bread is softened.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm.