Blue Cheese and Apple Pork Chops
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 4 bone-in pork loin chops (8 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 maple-flavored bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown pork chops in oil in batches.
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the apples, onions and bacon. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, broth and apple juice; pour over apple mixture. Top with pork chops. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove pork from slow cooker. Using a slotted spoon, remove apples; serve with pork. Sprinkle with blue cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 pork chop with 1/2 cup apple mixture: 676 calories, 37g fat (16g saturated fat), 150mg cholesterol, 1457mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 4g fiber), 49g protein.
Jan 6, 2013
Was this recipe a joke? I mean, I had doubts making it and I double checked that I was following the directions because it seemed like it wasn't going to be very good. Turned out to be both bland and GROSS. The bacony appleness did not work. It had almost no flavor except for boiled pork. NOT GOOD. I wound up re-separating the ingredients, making a sweet/spicy cinnamon apple concoction with the apples and reducing the bacon/onion water to a thin sauce to serve over the chops (which came out rubbery, by the way). Don't do this one.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.