Blooming Candy Corn Cupcakes
These moist, tender white cupcakes are perfect for a spring celebration. If you have a little extra chocolate frosting left over from another dessert, save it to form the flower's eyes.—Renee Schwebach, Dumont, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 4 egg whites
- Frosting of your choice
- Colored candy corn, jimmies, nonpareils, colored sugar or other decorations
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Beat in the egg whites.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost cooled cupcakes; decorate as desired.
Editor's Note: The heart-shaped candy shown is available at www.wilton.com.
Originally published as Candy Corn Cupcakes in Cupcakes & Mini Treats