Blood Orange & Goat Cheese Galette
I made this French galette for my mother-in-law's birthday, and it was a sensational hit. There is something about the gorgeous hue of the blood oranges that transforms a rustic pie into an elegant dessert. —Tia Laws, Enterprise, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + freezing Bake: 1 hour + cooling
Makes8 servings (2/3 cup sauce)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 4 to 6 tablespoons ice water
- 10 medium blood oranges
- 3/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 large egg yolks, divided use
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons coarse sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in oats. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 13-in. circle. Transfer to a parchment-lined 14-in. pizza pan. Refrigerate, covered, while preparing filling.
- For filling, cut a thin slice from the top and bottom of oranges; stand oranges upright on a cutting board. With a knife, cut peel and outer membrane from oranges. Cut along the membrane of each segment to remove fruit from 8 oranges. Thinly slice remaining 2 oranges; remove seeds. Place orange segments and slices between layers of paper towels to remove excess moisture; let stand while preparing filling.
- In a small bowl, beat goat cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, honey, 1 egg yolk and salt until smooth. Spread over crust to within 2 in. of edge. Arrange orange segments over cheese mixture. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons coarse sugar; dot with butter.
- Fold crust edge over filling, pleating as you go and leaving an opening in the center. Whisk remaining egg yolk and water; brush over folded crust. Arrange orange slices over crust to within 1 in. of edge. Sprinkle with remaining coarse sugar. Freeze, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake until crust is golden and filling is bubbly, 60-70 minutes. Transfer tart to a wire rack to cool.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add brown sugar, cream, honey and cinnamon; bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Serve with galette.