Blarney Breakfast Bake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 10 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups cubed day-old bread
- 1 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large skillet, cook sausage, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper.
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half the bread cubes, tomatoes, cheeses and sausage mixture. Repeat layers. Pour egg mixture over the top.
- Bake, uncovered, 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 304 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 216mg cholesterol, 669mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Aug 25, 2015
This was fantastic and awesome! Here is my blog post on it: http://heatskitchen.com/2015/08/25/blarney-breakfast-bake/
Jul 17, 2015
Hi Kobmob,Because this recipe uses day old bread, preparing it the night before should be fine. Just be sure to cover it tightly.Sue StetzelOnline Community ManagerTaste of Home Magazine
Jul 16, 2015
Can this be made the night before and cooked in the morning?
Jun 10, 2015
This was delicious and very moist and fluffy! I changed the bake time to an hour and five minutes at 375?.
Apr 22, 2014
It was good. Next time I would add peppers too.
Apr 2, 2013
Blarney breakfast was a dream to make and so delicious!Diane HigginsTampa, FL
Mar 18, 2013
Substituted ground turkey for the pork.
Mar 14, 2013
I haven't tried the recipe, but I wonder about substituting turkey links instead of pork sausage and using am egg substitute. I wonder if in future recipes where healthy substitures can be used, you would would show that, too. Thanks
Jul 8, 2012
Great recipe! I used some brioche for the bread cubes...awesome! Thank you, Taste of Home!
Jun 13, 2011
Good! I used wheat bread for the bread cubes. The pepper jack cheese made it somewhat spicy, my 1 year old would only have a few bites. My DH & I loved it though. I think for kids though I would just omit the pepper jack and double the cheddar.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.