Blackened Cajun Chicken
My son's a great cook who came up with this rub on his own. It's one of our very favorite ways to prepare chicken because it's nice and zesty.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Grill: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon each paprika, brown sugar, garlic powder and ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon each onion powder, ground cumin, dried thyme and pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up and skin removed
- Combine all seasonings. Place chicken in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; rub with half of the seasoning mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 15-23 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.
Editor's Note: Seasoning mix is enough for two chickens. It may be made ahead and stored in an airtight container until needed.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked chicken: 257 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 95mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 37g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat.
Originally published as Blackened Cajun Chicken in Country Chicken Cookbook