VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup seedless blackberry spreadable fruit
- Cream butter, shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until firm enough to roll, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. round cookie cutter. Place half of the circles onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Spread 1 teaspoon spreadable fruit in the center of each circle; top with remaining circles, pressing edges lightly to seal.
- Bake until light brown, 10-12 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3 dozen
Originally published as Blackberry Peekaboo Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2017