Blackberry Mint Pops
Classic pops get a nutrition makeover and go gourmet when blackberries and mint collide in the freezer.—Myrna Campbell, Philomath, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups strained blackberry puree (from 4 cups fresh blackberries)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh mint
- 16 freezer pop molds or 16 paper cups (3 ounces each) and wooden pop sticks
- In a small saucepan, bring water and brown sugar to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in blackberry puree and mint.
- Fill molds or cups with 1/4 cup fruit mixture. Freeze for 1 hour or until slushy. Gently stir to distribute mint. Top molds with holders. If using cups, top with foil and insert sticks through foil. Freeze until firm.
Rosemary Lemonade Pops: Substitute 3/4 cup lemon juice and 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary for blackberry puree and mint. Proceed as directed. Yield: 12 pops. Peach Thyme Pops: Substitute 2 cups peach puree and 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme for blackberry puree and mint. Proceed as directed. Yield: 16 pops. Strawberry Cilantro Pops: Substitute 2 cups strawberry puree and 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro for blackberry puree and mint. Stir in 2 tablespoons lime juice. Proceed as directed. Yield: 16 pops.