Blackberry Fruit Dumpling Recipe
- 3 pints fresh or frozen blackberries*
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- Cream or whipped cream, optional
- 1. In a 6-qt. kettle, combine blackberries, sugar, water and butter; bring to a boil. For dumplings, combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. In a bowl, beat egg and milk; stir in dry ingredients until a soft dough forms. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto boiling berry mixture. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until dumplings test done (do not lift the cover while simmering). Serve warm with cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings. *Editor's Note: Raspberries may be substituted for the blackberries. Yield: 8 servings
Editor's Note: Raspberries may be substituted for the blackberries.
1 each: 248 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 425mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 6g fiber), 4g protein.