Blackberry Fruit Dumpling
I received this recipe from a native Indian lady. We've exchanged many tips and recipes over the years, and this dessert has become a favorite.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 pints fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- Half-and-half or whipped cream, optional
- In a 6-qt. kettle, combine the blackberries, sugar, water and butter; bring to a boil.
- For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. In a large bowl, beat egg and milk; stir in dry ingredients until a soft dough forms. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto boiling berry mixture. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until dumplings test done (do not lift the cover while simmering).
- Serve warm with cream if desired.
Editor's Note: Raspberries may be substituted for the blackberries.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 248 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 425mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 6g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Blackberry Dumpings in Country Extra July 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.