- 1 quart fresh or frozen (loose-pack) blackberries
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup milk
- Cream or whipped cream, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the blackberries, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and lemon extract. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, nutmeg and remaining sugar and salt. Add milk; stir just until mixed. (Dough will be very thick.)
- Drop by tablespoonfuls into six mounds onto hot blackberry mixture; cover tightly and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean.
- Spoon into serving dishes. Serve with cream or whipped cream if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forBlackberry Dumplings
"Ofe of the best BlackBerry Dumpling recipe by taste of home.I also have the same with different method.Do visit herehttp://trickyfact.com/blackberries-dumpling-recipe-trickyfact/"
"This was very delicious, but I agree with Spicyvioletcajun and niahgirl. They forgot to list the water that is needed to cook with the blackberries. Also, once the dumplings were done, the blackberry mixture was pretty runny, so I removed the dumplings to serving bowls and then mixed a little cornstarch and water together and added it slowly to the simmering blackberry mixture while stirring, to thicken it up a bit. Then I topped the dumplings with the blackberry mixture. Wonderful summer dessert. Would be extra delicious with vanilla ice cream."
"You need to add the same amount of water as sugar to your dutchoven/pot. It appears that ingredient was overlooked. Other then that this recipe was delicious."
"Something missing in this recipe, water to boil berries in, am I correct?"
"I didn't have any problems with this recipe, but none of us liked it very much."
"Add 1 1/2 cups of water to cook the berries and steam the dumplings."
"I don't know if the recipe on here is wrong but there is nothing to boil in the first ingredients. All the sugar does is coat the blackberries and the dumplings didn't turn out either."