- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix well. Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk, beating well after each addition.
- Spread into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Toss the blackberries with lemon juice; sprinkle over batter. In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon and remaining sugar and flour; cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over berries.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Refrigerate leftovers.
1 piece: 291 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 231mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.