Blackberry Apple Pie Recipe
My mother made this pie so often she could do it with her eyes closed! We picked the berries ourselves, and the apples came from the trees in our orchard. I can still taste the delicious combination of fruits encased in Mother's flaky pie crust.
- Pastry for a double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 5 medium)
- 1 pint fresh blackberries, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water or milk
- 1. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim to 1 in. beyond edge of plate. Top with a thin layer of apples. In a large bowl, combine blackberries and remaining apples; sprinkle with lemon juice. Combine sugar and cornstarch. Add to fruit mixture; toss gently to coat. Spoon into pie shell; dot with butter.
- 2. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Beat egg with water; brush over lattice top and pie edges.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until filling is bubbly and apples are tender. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 415 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 238mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Blackberry Apple Pie
Reviewed Dec. 9, 2012
"Even my Mother-in-Law loved it!!!"
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC