Black Walnut Pie
Most years, I have a large supply of black walnuts and am always looking for new ways to use them up. This dessert, which is similar to traditional pecan pie, has been a favorite for years.—Shirley Sutton, Garnavillo, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup chopped black walnuts
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- In a saucepan, combine the corn syrup, brown sugar and 1/2 cup sugar; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in butter until melted. In a bowl, beat eggs. Gradually stir in hot mixture; mix well. Add walnuts. Combine flour and remaining sugar; sprinkle over bottom of pastry shell. Pour walnut mixture into shell. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until browned.