Black Raspberry Bars
Black raspberries are a rare treat. Their flavor is sweeter than raspberries and more intense than blackberries. Black raspberries and black raspberry preserves can be hard to find if you don't live in a region where they're common. These bars also taste divine with apricot jam or fruit preserves of your choice. —Penny Carey, Oxford, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 jar (10 ounces) seedless black raspberry preserves
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in coconut and walnuts.
- Reserve 3/4 cup dough for topping. Press remaining dough onto bottom of a greased 13x9-in. pan. Spread with preserves. Crumble reserved dough over top.
- Bake until golden brown, 35-40 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Originally published as Raspberry Bars in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.