Black Grape & Rhubarb Jam
Black grapes happen to be a favorite food of mine, so I combined them with rhubarb from the garden to create this sweet-tart jam. The crystallized ginger and spices add wonderful flavor. The soft-set texture and the bits of the grape skin also make this recipe a little different from other jams.—Barbara Estabrook, Rhinelander, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Process: 10 min.
- 4 cups seedless black grapes
- 1-1/3 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
- 3/4 cup shredded peeled apple
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Process grapes in batches in a food processor until pureed. Transfer to a large saucepan. Place rhubarb in food processor; process until finely chopped.
- Add rhubarb, apple, ginger and lemon juice to grapes; cook and stir over medium heat 5 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk sugar, tapioca, cinnamon and allspice; stir into grape mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30-40 minutes or until mixture is thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into four hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool.