Black Forest Thumbprint Cookies
My creation is special because I have captured the flavors of two classic desserts, Black Forest Cake and Cherries Jubilee in a cookie. The fudgy chocolate cookie is filled with a no-coo cherry mixture. Chopped almonds compliment the amaretto flavor in the filling and the cookie is an eye-catcher and oh-so pretty to serve during the holidays.—Barbara Estabrook, Rhinelander, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 25 min.+ chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup cherry spreadable fruit
- 2 teaspoons Amaretto
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 egg whites, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 cups chopped almonds
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, milk and extract. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- In a food processor, combine the cherries, spreadable fruit, Amaretto and lemon zest. Cover and pulse until chopped; set aside. Place egg whites and almonds in separate shallow bowls. Roll dough into 1-in. balls. Coat in egg whites, then roll in almonds.
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center of each cookie. Fill with cherry mixture. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 90 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 44mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as FUDGY BLACKFOREST ‘N CHERRIES JUBILEE THUMBPRINT COOKIES in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.