Black Forest Oatmeal
I'm always looking for healthier ways to incorporate my chocolate addiction into every meal. I've made this with peanut butter chips with bananas, and white chocolate and mint chocolate chips with raspberries.—Rachel Strong, Moseley, Virginia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3-3/4 cups water, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried cherries plus additional cherries
- Miniature semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring 3-1/4 cups water and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil. Stir in oats and wheat germ; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until water is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine cocoa, sugar, vanilla and remaining water; stir until smooth. Add chocolate mixture and cherries to oats; stir until well combined and heated through. Serve topped with additional cherries and, if desired, miniature chocolate chips and sweetened whipped cream.
Originally published as Black Forest Oatmeal in Breakfast & Brunch 2016 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.