Black Forest Oatmeal Crisps
Although the recipe for my hearty chocolate-cherry novelties is sized right for a bake sale or cookie exchange, it can be cut in half for smaller gatherings.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 14 dozen
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 6 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped or 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups chopped red candied cherries
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in milk and extract. Combine flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 87 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 44mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Black Forest Oatmeal Crisps in Country Woman Christmas 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.