Black Forest Dessert Cake
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 package (9 ounces) devil's food cake mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large egg
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- In a small bowl, beat the cake mix, water and egg on medium speed for 3-4 minutes. Pour into a greased 9-in. springform pan; place pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 23-25 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until fluffy; fold in whipped topping. Spread pie filling over cake; top with cream cheese mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours. Remove sides of pan.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 349 calories, 12g fat (8g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 269mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Mar 16, 2014
I don't often use cake mixes, but I needed an easy quick dessert using ingredients I had on hand. I am glad I chose this cake. Myy husband rated it very good. March 28th is National Black Forest Cake Day
Jul 24, 2013
I have made this numerous times and it always turns out delicious! Very simple to make too. Sometimes I make a lighter version using lite whipped topping and light cherry pie filling. Can't go wrong with this recipe.
Dec 18, 2011
I couldn't find 9oz of chocolate cake mix so I was unsure of whether to use the one cup of water still or not, so I followed the box directions for an 18.5oz box. Besides it taking forever to bake this in a springform pan, this cake just doesn't taste homemade. Very disappointed.
Jul 30, 2011
Loved this recipe. Turned out excellent and was very easy to make.
Mar 7, 2011
Very easy, very delicious. Made a beautiful cake for my daughter and mother-in-law's birthdays.
Jan 18, 2011
This cake is delicious. Thank you Patricia for submitting this recipe. It's going in my favorites.
Jul 23, 2010
This cake is AWESOME!!! I have made this 4 times and it is a Huge hit everytime. Everyone is always raving about how pretty it looks and that it tastes SO Delicious! Not to mention, it is real easy to put together.
Jul 13, 2010
9oz. cake mixes aren't around anymore. One 18oz. mix=2cups per cake. It works,just fine, follow same egg and water as directed. Have made it several times.
Apr 7, 2010
It was very moist, rich and amazing! This is my brother's and my favorite cake. I made it for Easter and everyone raved about it! Very happy with it, and would definitely make it again!
Mar 28, 2010
I 'tweeked' this recipe alittle. I used the chocolate snack cake recipe from Betty Crocker's cookbook, it makes exactly one round 8-inch cake. Or you could probably use the Jiffy brand chocolate cake mix, I think it makes one 8-inch. Add your canned cherries, and follow directions to whip up the cream cheese topping.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.