Black Forest Crepes
These fancy-looking crepes are a sweet ending to a special-occasion meal. Lisa Tanner of Warner Robins, Georgia fills them with cherry pie filling and tops them with chocolate sauce, whipped cream and a sprinkling of baking cocoa.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
Makes10 servings (20 crepes)
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- In a small bowl, combine buttermilk, eggs and butter. Combine flour, sugar and baking cocoa; add to milk mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat a lightly greased 8-in. nonstick skillet; pour 2 tablespoons batter into center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to evenly coat bottom. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, greasing skillet as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and cocoa. Whisk in milk; add butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon pie filling down the center of each crepe. Fold sides of crepe over filling; place in 2 greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° until heated through, 10-12 minutes. Transfer to serving plates; drizzle with warm chocolate sauce.
Editor's Note: Unfilled crepes may be covered and refrigerated for 2 to 3 days or frozen for 4 months.